sprite writes
broodings from the burrow

August 30, 2017

fo … tuesday
posted by soe 1:07 am

Finished Socks for Rudi

So, here’s the thing: I did, in fact, finish these socks late Friday. I wove in the ends and was planning to take a photo and write a post, when I saw a weird discrepancy in the knitting. How had I managed to knit in a section of purls in this stockinette sock?

And then I realized I hadn’t. These never-worn-before socks had a hole in them.


As I’ve mentioned before, I really didn’t enjoy knitting with this yarn, as it had a habit of splitting the ply while I was working. So I don’t know if I did that and accidentally weakened the fiber enough that it snapped while I was knitting further down. Or maybe there was a weak spot in the yarn I ignored. Or maybe a moth got to it — either here or at a warehouse (it was a second, after all). Who really knows? And, really, the why is far less important than the question of how do I fix this problem at this point.

So, I followed a couple of tutorials, followed one well enough, and came up with this:

No Hole

Not bad, eh? I mean, particularly because it’s a short color section variable yarn, so I couldn’t get it to match each stitch exactly. Hopefully a bath will make the yarn less scratchy in general and in that patched bit in particular, because I’d hate to give Rudi socks he doesn’t like to wear (even if he did pick out the yarn himself), particularly as a belated Christmas gift.

The stats:

Started in January 2016
Finished August 25

Yarn: Schachenmayr Regia Design Line Garden Effects in colorway 3310

Needles: 1s for the legs and 0s for the heel flaps to the toes

Category: knitting. There is/are 2 Comments.

Great colors! Yarn failure is never fun, but I think your fix looks great!

Comment by AsKatKnits 08.30.17 @ 6:11 am

They look great!

Comment by Karen 08.30.17 @ 8:35 am