1. Wrapping paper or gift bag?
Yes! I prefer wrapping paper and ribbon but my procrastination has made gift bags the de facto adornment the last few years.
2. Real tree or artificial?
Real! And we like to cut it down ourselves.
3. When do you put up your tree?
The first Sunday in December.
4. When do you take down your tree?
The night before trash day after MLK Day.
5. Do you like eggnog?
Yes, but only the alcohol-free variety.
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
The dollhouse my grandfather made for me would probably top the list. He got fancier as he gained expertise, but mine was the first and remains beloved.
7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Ummm… I have a tiny ornament one on the tree that we used to hang up when we were kids…
8. Hardest person to buy for?
9. Easiest person to buy for?
Rudi. My dad. My book-loving friends.
10. Worst Christmas gift you’ve ever received?
I received a plastic ant-farm once from my secret santa at work.
11. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. Although sometimes on Christmas eve…
12. Favorite Christmas movie?
Miracle on 34th Street and It’s a Wonderful Life
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
I’ve been getting better about picking things up as I see them starting in the late summer. That still doesn’t stop my being one of those people still shopping on Christmas Eve.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Yes, although nothing particular comes to mind at the moment except bottles of wine.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Stuffing! Apple pie! Trifle! Christmas cookies! Christmas candy!
16. White or colored lights?
Colored, of course!
17. Favorite Christmas song?
18. Traveling for Christmas or stay home?
Travelling up to my folks’ — for a week this year!
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?
Yes. Are there really people who can’t?
20. Angel or Star on top of tree?
Used to be an angel, but she kept endangering herself. Now it’s a snowflake.
21. Open presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas morning. On Christmas Eve, I’m still wrapping!
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
Managing my own expectations and stress about what I’d like to get done. I’m working hard to remind myself that I will be sad after Christmas if I decline fun activities in favor of shopping or knitting alone at home.
23. What I love most about Christmas?
Time with family and loved ones. The communal joy. A night of peace.